This comprehensive financial services training is your go-to source for military lending compliance. Guidance for adhering to the Military Lending Act (MLA) and Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) requirements is covered in an easy-to-follow format, along with recommended practices to achieve compliance with these regulations. This banking webinar will also include a review of recent enforcement actions and provide practical strategies to avoid the most common violations.
Attendees to this banking webinar will learn:
- The types of covered accounts
- How to calculate and disclose MAPR
- Who is considered a covered borrower
- Requirements for MLA and SCRA compliance
- In-depth review of the MLA’s safe-harbor provision
- Mortgage and student loan protections for active service members
- The effect of MLS/SCRA on financing add-on products, security interests, and credit cards,
- Common pitfalls and practice tips to achieve MLA and SCRA compliance from origination through servicing and collections
Dena Somers is a highly regarded bank consultant and compliance attorney. She has provided regulatory compliance and risk management consulting services to financial institutions and companies in highly regulated industries nationwide for more than 20 years. Her areas of expertise include consumer and mortgage lending compliance, Fintech and specialty finance, regulatory compliance training, business strategy and best practice advisement, and corporate governance. Throughout her career, Ms. Somers has advised hundreds of banking and financial institutions— ranging from local community banks to $50 billion financial holding companies— to achieve operational efficiency while ensuring regulatory compliance. Previously, Ms. Somers served as General Counsel to a national mortgage servicing company, Fintech lender, national money service business, and has represented financial institutions in a broad array of complex litigation matters for more than 15 years. Additionally, Ms. Somers is a published author for Lexis Nexis in the areas of Bank Teller training, loan policies, and loan documentation training.
1.0 CPE Credits